Sunday, December 10, 2006

DRESSLER Restaurant Review BEST DINNER OF 2006

Dressler is a restaurant (located at 149 Broadway at Bedford). It is owned by the same owners as Dumont and Dumont Burger and, if you live in Williamsburg you've most likely eaten at the latter 2, so you know that these are pretty standard examples of the elegant cuisine that represents the fine palates of its residents. Even with it's mature, elegant and graceful decor you will typically see your local rock hero named Danny or Mark (no last names please...from some band you know but can't place which one) in a suit and possibly bow tie. The first time I ate there was this Thanksgiving. Their Prix Fixe menu was priced at $75 and every course was a bite closer to insuring a return visit. I ate there again last night because my best friend wanted to take me there as my Christmas present...lucky for me :)

The way Mark and I like to dine is by ording the 2 top choices under each course category. We decided on the lobster bisque and the artichoke and white been salad. The lobster bisque was velvety and salted to perfection. there was a bagette crouton with a dollop of lobster salad on top of it. Crazy good...The artichoke salad was served with baby spinach, parmesan cheese, white beans and a vinaigrette I can't recall but that doesn't matter because a vinaigrette should bed tho most memorable part of a salad anyway. This viniagrette was elegant, non-intrusive, it was actually serving its purpose--ACCOMPANYING a salad. Restaurants (or dare I say Chefs) these days feel like every single element needs to stand out above everything. It's hard to find a chef with consistant elegance throughout his or her menu. ok...

Next course...we decided on the pork dish and the raviolo. The fresh housemade raviolo are, as per Dumont tradition, consistently delicious. Mayhaps a signature dish for both restaurants. Always the perfect amount of garlic and the perfect amount of al dente (or however you'd measure that, just chalk it up to my writing style) and the perfect amout of sauce. Just enough to dip a few pulls of bread in. And the pork dish, oh wow...this was perfection. The chop was cooked precisely medium as per my order (and also the greenish waiter's learned suggested amount of heat) and was tender beyond perfection. But underneat the chop was there heaven truly lied...Two sliced of pork center cuts were the core of this dish. Buttery in texture and flavors that would linger well beyond the Cote du Rhone that was paired perfectly with it I wondered if I'd still be able to share this with my friend. The other thing I wondered was whether or not I was going to be disappointed by anything of less caliber as the first 2 courses.

For dessert we decided on the Peanutbutter and Chocolate Parfait ($7) and the Cococnut Bread Pudding ($7). We were nowhere close to disappointed. If you are a Peanutbutter fan this is a must. I will be craving this on for many months to come. the parfait is delicious but the peanutbrittle ice cream was the SHIT!!! OK sorry... anywho, this dinner was bite for bite the greatest meal of 2006. EASILY. We are so lucky here in Williamsburg to have such fine culinary fare in our neighborhood.

No comments: